The Hathersage Brass Band takes its name from the
small, North Derbyshire village of Hathersage close to
the South Yorkshire border.
Hathersage Band was formed on 4th November, 1882 as
the 'Hathersage United Brass Band' and early in 1883
the first fourteen new instruments were purchased from
a London company at a cost of £61/4s/6d to be paid
monthly at a rate of £1/5s/0d. The cost of a Cornet
then was £3/3s/0d. The band is unusual in having been
in continual active existence ever since this date and
has played through the two world wars when it was
sustained by its older members to keep local spirits
It has also played at many significant events in the
surrounding districts over the years. One was the
involvement in, and playing for, various stages of the
first lighting of the village by gas on 14th December,
Another more recent event at which the band
played a significant part was the large party
given at Chatsworth House in honour of the late
Duke of Devonshire's 65th birthday.
The current band draws its members from a wide
area around Sheffield, Chesterfield and the
Hope Valley whose ages and abilities vary
widely but the standard of playing is
The band chooses to no longer enter
competitions in order to preserve its relaxed
and pleasurable atmosphere.
Regular events include marches and outdoor
concerts in a number of villages to
celebrate their Well Dressings, Fetes and
Galas during the summer season whilst during
the winter the band is busy with Christmas
concerts and playing carols. We play a lot of
venues in Derbyshire.
The band originally rehearsed in a back room
of the Little John pub in Hathersage but when
the landlord retired this was no longer
possible and due to no other suitable venue
available in Hathersage, the move was made to a
little chapel in Grindleford.
This was the band room for a good number of
years, but then due to the lack of congregation
at the chapel, it had to be sold. The band
now rehearse at Green Lawns, a community hall,
in Marsh Lane,
Eckington, North East Derbyshire.